Which is your favourite in badminton?

Wednesday 27 January 2010

Yu out of Yonex Open

*published by The Brunei Times*



NATIONAL shuttler Jasper Yu Woon Chai was knocked out of the open singles of the Yonex Brunei Open.

He lost his second round match against Cornelius @ Yus 21-14, 21-19 at the Indoor Stadium of the Hassanal Bolkiah National Sports Complex in Berakas.

"In the first set I could not keep up the pace and read his movement," said Yu of his Indonesian opponent yesterday.

"In the second set I got to know his movements but I made many mistakes in the net area - which is supposed to be my strength.

"I made too many mistakes, that's why I lost the game," he summed up.

Though there were other national players taking part in the tournament's doubles event, many of them had teamed up with non-national team players.

Yu added that he had to train by himself because national badminton coach Wu Xue Kai is not with the team any longer because of contract disputes.

"I am not fully prepared coming into the tournament, and I think I am only about 70 per cent fit," he said.

"My aim was to get into the quarter-finals but I had a tough draw, and Cornelius is one of the title contenders," he added.

Yu still has the open doubles to play though, where he will partner Ak Abd Halim Pg Hj Ismail in the third round today.

One of the more accomplished players in the national team, Yu and his teammates won a bronze medal in the men's team event of last month's 3rd Borneo Games which the Sultanate hosted.

He also won three gold medals in the Youth Sports Festival (Pesta Sukan Remaja) in the men's singles, men's doubles and team event.

The Brunei Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment